life

life

Monday, October 13, 2008

Online Marketing and Generating Real Leads

When I first went online try my hand on online marketing I thought it would be a peace of cake. In fact I thought it would generate leads immediately. I thus embarked very excitedly did everything I could do under the sun to increase the hits to the website I was optimizing, form advertising on Google, search engine optimization, site monitoring to link exchanges and joined any social networking website etc i found. This increased my hits considerably in-fact they even went as high as 300 per day, but as the year came to a close I realized that whether the site got hits or not the result was the same. I was not selling, all those hits were useless. The next year I decided to take a break on all online marketing and advertising and let the website just sit. There was no activity for about 6 months the hits went down to about 20-30 per day and somewhere out of the blue I made two sales from one person on separate days but the same month. This got me thinking in terms of where did this sales come from. And from a little research I realized that this was due to the search engine optimization. It then dawned on me that I had to prepare an online marketing campaign. and not just trying by blundering around and trying to get numerous hits. In-fact I realized that I had rather not burn my pay per click budget on useless hits but retain it and carefully target how I was advertising in short it is better to get 10 hits per month and one sale than 10,000 hits and no sale/conversion which is what i was doing my first year.

Important Lessons Learnt on Online Marketing
1. It is a slow and tedious process, very time consuming, but inexpensive compared to traditional methods.
2. It must be carefully planned.
3. A combination of methods/ avenues for lead generation is better than one method.
4. Results are long term.
5. It is easier and less costly to work with your current customers.

Useful Links. Internet Marketing, Website Reviews

No comments: