life

life

Sunday, October 12, 2008

What is a Good Webiste

Yesterday i was meeting with a group of friends who like to play cashflow a board game that teaches you how to get out of the rat race literally. It usually calms my nerves after a busy week. Well after the game I felt I needed to let those who were present my name and what I do and thus distributed my business card. A lady whom I know mentioned what i really do to another lady who was seated next to her and within seconds she indicated she was looking for a good web designer, she indicated that she needed the images edited, and the Hotels worked on (to create a dynamic summary of each property there was already a sample). I told her that i usually prefer to have a one on one session with clients before I embark on the work the reason being that after a powerful application has been put on your site most people do not use the application and instead focus on the images and complain how they are not the ones they wanted. Also I like to tell them that a website will not market itself it is a beginning but not an end. However before I could proceed further she indicated that the site was great and was getting numerous hits. As soon as I was home I quickly went to the site I was eager to see this site that was performing optimally. Of course the template was lousy to see the least. The dynamic summary was a drop down list she was talking about. A quick website audit revealed very few hits if any, there was no optimization included on the site non whatsoever. this left me dumbfounded may be that chat i was proposing may be useful after all.

Site Statistics and Audit Tools: Stat Counter, Alexa, Backlink Checker.

No comments: